Are Your Windows and Doors Ready for the Cold in Greenfield, MA?
Ready or not, the colder weather is hitting Greenfield and you still have time to make sure your home’s windows and doors are prepped for winter. Regularly checking your windows and doors can help ensure that your home stays comfortable and helps save on your energy bills.
What steps can you take to prepare your windows and doors for winter?
- Check to see if your windowsills and all the moving parts are clean – Dirt and debris that remains in windowsills or the moving parts on your windows and doors can impact the tightness and seal when closed.
- Check your weather stripping – Weather stripping helps to reduce air from leaking in when windows and doors are shut. It can become loose or torn over time, so take a look and reattach any loose portions or replace sections that are damaged.
- Reapply caulk or sealant around windows and doors – Rain, water and sunlight can harm exterior sealants and caulk. Remove damaged material and apply new sealant.
- Repair or replace damaged exterior surfaces – Take a look at your exterior surface for signs of moisture leaking, such as cracked or deteriorated wood. Replacing the damaged wood helps to keep cold air and moisture from find its way into your home.
- Install storm doors – Storm doors help add an additional layer of protection from air and moisture and improves energy performance.
- Install snap-in blinds or shades – Not only does this increase your privacy, but it also helps to insulate your home.
- Upgrade to energy-efficient windows and doors – If your home has single-pane glass, clear glass, or your windows and doors are older, your heating bills may be higher than they need to be. Our experts can talk to you about newer, energy-efficient windows and doors.
If you have additional questions about preparing your your home’s windows and doors for winter, contact your local Showroom in Greenfield at (413) 829-0299.