Looking for New Windows in Your Greenfield, MA Home? Pella has Tips to Help Make the Right Choice
When purchasing windows for your home improvement or new construction project, you naturally want to choose the best windows for your project and budget. As you make this important decision, ponder these facts:
- Windows can impact the interior and exterior appearance of your Greenfield area home.
- Your window choice can make a measureable difference in your overall level of comfort and energy consumption.
- The construction of your windows can have a healthy impact on the resale value of your Greenfield area house if or when you decide to sell.
If you take the time to research the style and function options available, you will be pleased with your purchase and appreciate the pleasure of viewing the outside world through your new windows for years to come.
What questions should you contemplate when purchasing replacement windows for your Greenfield home?
- What do they look like? Remember that you are going to see your replacement windows most often from the inside of your home, not the outside. Stand inside and study the view carefully; will the type of window and color fit with your home’s décor? Is the window accessible for regular cleaning? Will I need to control the amount of sunlight shining in through the window? And don’t forget to stand outside from multiple viewing positions to determine if the style of replacement window you are considering works with the look of your Greenfield home.
- How energy efficient are the windows? Learn the data relating to your windows that impact their energy efficiency. Specifics to consider are U-values and Low-E insulating glass with argon windows, and weatherstripping. For instance, U-values grade the insulating value of windows. The best windows have low U-values to help keep out extreme temperatures. Identify your estimated energy savings beforehand to help reduce heating and cooling costs and receive the most value for your investment.
- How will my new windows function? Just like purchasing your vehicle, it is important to try out the functionally of a window before you buy it. Can you open or shut the window easily? How much effort does it take to clean the window? Does the window hardware (or the crank handle) fold away in order to leave window coverings undisturbed? If the window will be an exit from the home during emergency situations in case of fire, be certain it opens easily and offers an adequately-sized opening.
- How will you install the windows? Installing your windows is either blended with the overall purchase price or calls for an outside contractor. If you are using the services of contractor, it may be smart to inquire about installation price and included services prior to ordering your windows.
- How will you maintain your windows? The weather in the Greenfield area changes often. The appearance of your windows can be impacted negatively by wind, sun, rain and snow. Consider low-maintenance options like aluminum cladding or in-between-the-glass grilles in order for you to easily clean your windows and allow them to look great for many years to come.
- What is available in terms of color and hardware options? Color selection reflects your style and enhances the overall appeal of your Greenfield home. Some manufacturers offer limited exterior color choices. Determine what restrictions are in place for the windows you want. In addition, that latches and handles complement the style of your home and coordinate with other hardware options in your home, such as cabinets, faucets and even appliances.
- How much does a quality window cost? The old saying “you get what you pay for” is especially true when it comes to purchasing quality windows. The lowest priced windows may not be your best buy. Windows are an investment in your property. The type of window you select should be based more on performance than on price.
We invite you to visit Pella at the Greenfield area Showroom to learn more about your choices, or give us a call at (413) 829-0299.